Piedmont Medical Care Corporation - Atlanta, Georgia
Serves as a member of the critical care team by assisting in management of critically ill patients in the hospital. Applies specialized skills and knowledge related to ICU, CCU and CVICU settings in which they practice. Contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, consulting and provides leadership to the organization.
1. Provides direct clinical services for critically ill adult patients within institutional guidelines and utilizing evidence-based clinical practice standards under the supervision of the patient’s physician.
2. Obtains patient health histories and completes physical examinations and documents findings in accordance with hospital requirements.
3. Orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests, explaining the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patient’s family, staff and healthcare learners.
4. Performs approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status and documents procedures in accordance with hospital requirements, including obtaining arterial, venous, and capillary blood samples, urine samples, sputum samples and cultures; performing cardiac output measurements, other hemodynamic measurements and EKG’s; assisting with the performance of radiographic studies; assisting physician with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures; etc.
5. Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation and external cardiac massage; airway management including bag and mask ventilation, endotracheal intubation and extubation, changing, positioning and repositioning endotracheal tubes; administration of life supporting drugs according to established protocols; and defibrillation according to Advanced Cardiac Life Support standards.
6. Under physician direction and within the credentialing standards of the Hospital, inserts and manages arterial catheters, dialysis catheters, central venous catheters, pulmonary artery catheters, chest tubes, thoracenteses, endotracheal tubes, and extraglottic devices.
7. Interfaces patients with monitoring and instrumentation equipment, and directs and educates others in performing the same functions.
8. Formulates and implements a treatment plan for acute illness management in collaboration with the designated primary supervising physician and/or attending back-up physician(s) and documents in medical records and appropriate narrative summaries.
9. Assesses patients for changes in status and institutes appropriate interventions, including initiation of necessary emergency interventions to stabilize patient.
10. Incorporates clinical research findings in the development and implementation of standards of care.
11. Supports IRB approved clinical research/trials though a variety of activities including but not limited to: obtaining consent; ordering diagnostic tests; recording laboratory and diagnostic results; administering therapeutic interventions; and documenting and reporting patient outcomes including toxicities or adverse events.
12. Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research.
13. Serves as a clinical expert and education consultant to nursing, members of the healthcare team and to the larger community.
14. Identifies educational needs of the family and participates in teaching opportunities.
15. Assesses educational needs, plans, provides, and evaluates educational programs for nursing staff, interdisciplinary healthcare team, and community.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Ability to participate in creating an environment that implements the mission, vision and values of the organization.
- Ability to function independently and as a team member.
- Must be able to establish priorities and a course of action for managing several activities at once while observing deadlines, and to function and communicate effectively with multidisciplinary team members.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking.
- Demonstrated clinical leadership and experience with coordinating and managing complex and multifaceted projects.
- Demonstrated high level of motivation to learn and participate in activities to improve patients care.
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Skill and ability in electronic medical records applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally with team members and patients.
- Ability to understand legal issues that influence the practice of the APPs.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The above information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Medical/Surgical Critical Care:
· Competence in Airway management, including endotracheal intubation, placement of extraglottic devices, and safe use of RSI medications
· Complete a Difficult Airway Course within one year of hire.
· ACLS certification
· Interpret Abgs, CXRs, ultrasounds and CT of chest.
· Perform daily rounds.
· Newconsults, admissions, discharges, advanced care planning /discussing end of life care /POLST.
· Attends multidisciplinary rounds.
· Attends and participates in at least one hospital committee.
· Attends and participates in the Critical Care Center of Excellence.
· Attends and participates in journal club and grand rounds.
· Ability to formulate a differential diagnosis, assessment and plan for each patient.
· Work closely with other consultant groups, RNs and care coordinators.
· Maintain CME hours and state license /nations recertification.
· Participate in the education of new hires
· Check emails on a regular basis and respond promptly when needed.
· Attends 4 in person staff meetings per year
· Maintains procedural skills with Additional Duties form on file with the state.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Graduate from an accredited school of nursing with current Georgia license for Advanced Practice Nursing and a Master’s degree in Nursing, OR graduate of an accredited Physician Assistants program with current license for the Georgia State Composite Board.
MINIMUM LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIRED BY LAW:
Licensed Physician Assistant in the State of Georgia. OR Licensed for Advanced Practice Nursing (ACNP).
At Piedmont Healthcare we embrace diverse ideas, perspectives, and skills to create a collaborative workplace where the best talent wants to succeed. We celebrate differences and recognize that they allow us to care for our community.
Piedmont is a certified Great Place to Work™-- a national designation based on employee feedback about trust, workplace culture and experience. In 2019, Forbes named Piedmont one of Georgia’s 10 best employers and the highest-ranked healthcare provider.